Thursday, September 06, 2007

Critique on the role-play event.

Alright, one more day before the contest technically ends. I've read through enough posts on sGE's RP threads to start making some judgments.

First of all, kudos to the people who decided to put roleplay as a centerpiece. It's a bold move, but a very heart-warming one for people like me. I still have high hopes for the conclusion of the thread. My last post was pessimistic, but now I'm a bit more optimistic now that I feel strongly engaged in the excitement of waiting for Esme's next post.

However, the next time a thread like this is officially made, some firm guidelines to be set in order to familiarize the general forum user with what RP is not. Common role-play sense is not a common commodity on the sGE forums, as demonstrated by the flood of out-of-character posts. For example, complaining about the previous event's lag or speaking from a player's perspective are not parts of relevant role-play.

Enforcing roleplay is not essential, but threads that retain an untainted, engrossing atmosphere become attractive to serious role-players, whereas threads littered with broken OOC aren't as gripping. When it becomes a struggle to filter through the unpleasant one-lined player sentiments, then something has gone wrong. While I don't feel it is appropriate to ostracize others from role-play, a line has to be drawn in order to preserve the integrity of a story-driven thread. One simple rule, "If you are to post, put some effort into it." Think of the thread as a museum or a national park. Don't litter it with crap, contribute to it instead.

I'll write more once I gather a bigger picture. Ciao for now.

-Futanari

No comments: