Friday, September 14, 2007

I'll stop being a zealot.

I've been leading a miniature crusade against people who don't value GE as much as I do. Eventually, I came to realize that trying to force your sense of duty on another individual is a good recipe for failure. In light of that, this post will be devoted to concessions (not the sort that you eat though.)

1: If there's another game in your life, I accept your rejection of GE.
We're all looking through a different set of shades, crafted by our experiences previous to encountering GE. Despite wishing to keep as many people as I possibly can, it's wrong for any gamer to insist that another should play something they don't enjoy.

2. I accept that GE will not die without the support of every potential leaver.
It won't. I shouldn't be so desperate to cling to the few that decide to play other games. I am very confident that GE's flavor, unique playstyle and a good group of friends to play with will keep die-hards, like myself, pumping the lifeblood of the New World.

3. If the sGE business model is too steep for you, I will not deem it your fault.
Some people can't afford it no matter how incredible it might seem. When reality is concerned, gaming should be taking a back-seat anyway. There's absolutely no reason to badger an individual for making a conservative decision based on what they view as unreasonable. If they don't want to pay, they don't need to. Might as well make the voyage send-off more like a mourning session than a gauntlet.

4. Your complaints about bots are valid. Therefore, the only ones who should be blamed are the botters themselves and not the fed-up victims.
Dealing with bots is not the easiest of tasks. They test your patience, infuriate you when they autolog and are an overall pain in the rear. I have managed to find a niche in the game that allows me to enjoy GE with little bot-based impediments, but I'm certain others have not or simply feel that they deserve more preventative measures from the GM side. If quitting is an act of revenge or just a concession to the onslaught of bots, I won't cling to your ankle.

5. If GE's gameplay is unappealing, then I won't stop you from thinking that.
Even if I did try, it's almost futile to change someone's mind about the complexity, or lack thereof, of a gaming system if they've already made a judgment about GE. The only thing I can do is ask for players to play different builds on a consistent basis or interact with your own internal PvP duel league or something that gets the competitive juices flowing.

6. If GE's grind is unbearable, then you're free to go.
Alright, alright, so my concessions are not all nice and friendly. If you think GE's grind is miserable, then you should seriously consider quitting all forms of commercial MMO play. GE has a very light grind in comparison to other titles, especially Lineage 2. While the grind is not easy in later levels, it is bearable and very reasonable in comparison to other more-unforgiving RPG titles. Heck, the existence of patrol mode alone is a good enough reason to discount GE as a grind game.

7. GE isn't hardcore enough.
An extension of point six in a bizzaro universe. If you're a masochist, then contemplate playing Lineage 2, FFXI solo or. . . well, any other game that would feed your need to be kicked in the face by a game client. Frankly, I'm afraid to convince you otherwise. Your handshake probably has nails driven through the palm with a lemon-pulp pushed underneath the skin.

Anyway, happy hunting for all you gamers who have made the decision to drop GE. I can't say you're making the best decision, but I'm admittedly biased toward GE, so everything is peachy.

-Futanari

No comments: