Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Music - Creative Aurvana DJ Earphones - Day 1.

I haven't broken in my headset just yet, but from what I can tell, they're a lot more sensitive than Sony MDR-150s. The second I plugged them into my computer, I jumped to the conclusion that they sucked due to a nasaly sound. Before I threw a fit, I remembered that I set up my treble to get a crisper sound on my old set. Aurvana's do a great job at being delightfully clean on the first try.

These headphones do a good job of sealing off the outside world without causing much discomfort, wearing them for two straight hours with minor fiddling to get them just right on my skull. They won't automatically feel good, but once you've found a sweet spot, the 13 ounces of plastic, cushion and speakers apply a firm but reassuring pressure, expected from a set of heavy full earphones.

As far as cosmetics go, they won't make you pretty, but they're not overtly ugly. They're more like classy accents than a magical faerie grandmother. In a world where most full headphones are hideous as your neighborhood chimera, it's refreshing to see some sexy brushed-metal and rounded rectangles.

In my experience, I haven't had the funds or the joy to listen to Sennheiser 595s or Shure earbuds. I'm a cheap disciple of rhythm, but I know a good pair of earphones when I hear one. I can't make any "real" judgments on the sound quality other than they're much better than MDR-150s and a number of earbuds that I've smashed through, even before I've really broken in my Aurvanas.

Give me a week, by then I've probably given 140+ hours into these.

No comments: